[microsound] Golden Ratio discovery [may be of interest to someone]

babilano babilano at chello.nl
Mon Jan 11 15:01:14 EST 2010

I hereby swear to never refer to the holocaust or the nazi's to make
a point ever again.

serge

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM, David Powers <cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:
As per these claims that "the universe is a complete whole," I can
only say that if this is so, then in a world that produced Auschwitz,
"the universe is a complete HELL."

I prefer to imagine that reality is ontologically open, creation is
incomplete, and freedom is a real though extremely fragile
possibility.

This profoundly influences my idea of music, in that I do not believe
great music establishes some perfect mythical harmony between the
smallest details and the whole. In my view, music should struggle
against such ideological harmony, without necessarily abandoning all
structure or denying the relationships between micro and macro
structures. Late Beethoven piano pieces and string quartets are
excellent examples of such an approach.

I agree with you to an extent on "school maths", although I personally
think that in the digital age, it's impossible to escape the reign of
mathematics, and so perhaps we shouldn't ignore math but instead try
to subvert it.

PS. The idea of "Golden Ratio Disco" quite amuses me in some way,
though I'm somewhat frightened to hear what such a thing sounds like!

<cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
golden.ratio.discovered.a.quantum.world