[microsound] Visual editing of audio-rate parameter files?

Phil Thomson hellomynameisphil+mcrsnd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:02:57 EST 2009

You haven't mentioned which (Mac?) audio editors you've tried.
Offhand, I can think of SoundHack, Audacity and Amadeus (or Amadeus
Pro) that can import raw data. Have you tried all those?

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Justin Glenn Smith
<noisesmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Charles Turner wrote:
>> Hey, sorry to ask a tech question here, but it's pretty general in nature:
>>
>> I've recorded an audio-rate (AIFF) 8-channel datafile with synthesis
>> parameter data in it. That is, instead of data that ranges from -1.0 to
>> 1.0, the data range is more like 0.0 to 50.0.
>>
>> It'd be great to open this file in a conventional audio editor, but it
>> seems like most (or all) of them clip the data above 1.0. Some will wrap
>> it, which creates another type of weirdness.
>>
>> Any thoughts? I poked around a bit with MSP, and it seems the [buffer~]
>> object only handles 4-channels. I haven't found an audio editor that has
>> this feature. Currently wondering whether there's a more general tool
>> for DSP use that might do the trick.
>>

> I would say that if any tool could handle it snd would be able to edit it
> visually. I think snd is linux / unix only.
>
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/
>
> Also, sox should be able to split it out into individual channels or normalize
> to a range other tools can use (ie. if you scale amplitude by .02 it should be
> editable in a normal editor, and then sox should be able to multiply it by 50 again
> when you are done -- but of course this would probably lead to some rounding errors
> in quieter parts of the signal).

"In art only one thing matters: that which cannot be explained."

~Georges Braque