[microsound] Visual editing of audio-rate parameter files?

Justin Glenn Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:21:44 EST 2009

Charles Turner wrote:
> Hey, sorry to ask a tech question here, but it's pretty general in nature:
>
> I've recorded an audio-rate (AIFF) 8-channel datafile with synthesis
> parameter data in it. That is, instead of data that ranges from -1.0 to
> 1.0, the data range is more like 0.0 to 50.0.
>
> It'd be great to open this file in a conventional audio editor, but it
> seems like most (or all) of them clip the data above 1.0. Some will wrap
> it, which creates another type of weirdness.
>
> Any thoughts? I poked around a bit with MSP, and it seems the [buffer~]
> object only handles 4-channels. I haven't found an audio editor that has
> this feature. Currently wondering whether there's a more general tool
> for DSP use that might do the trick.

I would say that if any tool could handle it snd would be able to edit it
visually. I think snd is linux / unix only.

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/

Also, sox should be able to split it out into individual channels or normalize
to a range other tools can use (ie. if you scale amplitude by .02 it should be
editable in a normal editor, and then sox should be able to multiply it by 50 again
when you are done -- but of course this would probably lead to some rounding errors
in quieter parts of the signal).