[microsound] "When Facebook Isn't Fun, or, Why iLife Isn't My Life: Immaterial Labor in the Age of Web 2.0" (Draft)

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:34:51 EST 2009

Hi, Just a couple of notes:

First, yes I'm a Marxist, and my essay will indeed be taking an
explictly Marxist position. I make no apology for that. My Marxism is
however not, I hope, simply a mechanical rehashing of some dogmatic
positions. The main Marxist philosophers I intend to reference are
actually Theodor Adorno and Henri Lefebvre, who both argued for
positions substantially different than those of the more vulgar,
dogmatic Marxists.

Second, you criticize the Marxist theory based on the theory of
alienation. I DO NOT intend to use the theory of alienation in my
critique of labor. The alienation critique is a part of early, more
humanist Marx and is not central to the concept of exploitation that I
am arguing here. My concept of exploitation is simply this: workers
create value, MONETARY VALUE, through their labor, but a surplus
portion of that value goes not to them but to increase the profits of
Capital. In the case of social networking sites, more and more
consumer-producers are producing cultural content and commodities for
FREE, but someone else is making a profit off of it.

Let me be clear here--I'm NOT saying that their is no "use value" to
Facebook for the user. I'm saying the cultural content they produce
also has "exchange value" -- monetary value -- but the user does not
receive this value normally, Facebook receives all the monetary value.

Finally, in the actual, finished essay (not the draft) I definitely
want to incorporate mention of Free Cultural Works and Free Software.
I will also have to look into Andrew Feenberg if I have time. Thanks
for your thoughtful comments. And for at least engaging a Marxist view
rather than simply scoffing, even if you disagree! ;-)

~David