[microsound] "When Facebook Isn't Fun, or, Why iLife Isn't My Life: Immaterial Labor in the Age of Web 2.0" (Draft)

Charlie DeTar chazen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:02:51 EST 2009

Thanks for sending this!  It's a fun to think about.

There are two aims this outline presents that I am sympathetic to:
 * Highlighting the imbalance of contributions to web2.0 sites when
those contributions become owned by the web2.0 corporations
 * Searching for ways to promulgate ideas about alternative ways to view
the world, outside a capitalist perspective; trying to break capitalist
hegemony and understand its modes of self-perpetuation.

That said, I find the over-reliance on Marxist analysis to fall a bit
flat.  Many Marxist ideas are worth considering, and are certainly
important from a historical perspective, but even the example of a "Karl
Marx facebook page" reeks of ineffectual undergraduate clubs which
rehash old ideas and dream of the proletarian revolution as they picket
a university.  I'm skeptical of any overtly Marxist analysis finding
traction in the Web2.0 world, thus I'm skeptical of section V in the
outline.

I don't believe this is just a problem with the fashionability (or lack
thereof) of Marx -- I think there are theoretical problems with this as
well.  It seems that the primary crux of this outline has to do with
labor -- the labor people contribute to web2.0 sites.  The Marxist
analysis would criticize capitalist labor for the alienation of workers
from the fruits of their labor.  But you can't claim that a Facebook
contributor is alienated from their contributions to Facebook -- the
user will have a flashier "wall", nicer photos, more in-depth and
possibly more meaningful relationships with friends, etc.  You can't
pretend that these are merely workers driven into an exploitative
relationship with a capitalist boss.  People are free to use the system
to the extent they wish, and to stop using it at any time, and they get
value from their use.  There may be edge cases where someone gets hurt
by not using Facebook, but this is a stretch.

It is precisely this positive value proposition that makes Facebook
popular, and this is where it is insidious as well:  Facebook exploits
momentum, lack of critical analysis, and an initial lack of superior
alternatives to become hegemonic.  But I don't think this has much to do
with labor, it seems to me that there's a deeper phenomenon of cultural
momentum going on that might be interesting to explore.  You might find
some ideas in the work of Andrew Feenberg here -- he's a
Science/Technology/Society researcher/philosopher exploring the
relationship between social and technical production.  Chapter 5 of his
book "Questioning Technology" deals with the problems of human agency in
a technocratically dominated world; this might be relevant.

A couple of other directions that I would like to see an analysis like
this go:  first, it ought to consider the movements for Free Cultural
Works and Free Software.  These are astonishingly successful movements
where, without the theoretical baggage of anti-capitalism, people are
trying to create societal structures that promote the sharing of work in
a way that preserves freedoms beyond those afforded by the
Facebooks/YouTubes, and thus would eliminate the corporate control over
peoples' production.  The definitions (see
http://freedomdefined.org/Definition ) take into account the radically
different nature of digital production from the agrarian production Marx
was familiar with.

Second, you might consider alternative conceptions of what labor is.  I
found this essay on Buddhist Economics to have a refreshing alternative
perspective on labor, which takes a holistic view on human wellness
rather than the assumption that labor is an inherent "bad":
http://www.smallisbeautiful.org/buddhist_economics/english.html
Particularly where the labor you have in mind is labor undertaken during
as recreation, it seems disingenuous to claim that the only value of the
labor is in the commodity that is derived from it.

cheers,
Charlie