[microsound] "When Facebook Isn't Fun, or, Why iLife Isn't My Life: Immaterial Labor in the Age of Web 2.0" (Draft)

{ brad brace } bbrace at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 5 12:03:46 EST 2009

Facebook adheres to the typical self-serving curatorial
agenda, but why not examine one of the most pervasive and
entrenched cultural scams -- artworld institutions! -- where
"unpaid labor" is an accepted abusive tradition! The
acolytes and their institutions, not the artists or their
heirs, get the real money -- and that's trillions of
tax-dollars diverted from possible public works -- only to
stockpile and establish (their received) 'cultural value' in
thousands of upper-middle-class social clubs a.k.a. art
museums!

/:b

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, David Powers wrote:

> [...]
> system.
>
> III. The Reproduction of Everyday Life
>
> Understanding the productive aspect of consumption requires
> understanding the way capitalism, as a totality, reproduces itself in
> all the mundane details of everyday existence. The works of Adorno and
> Lefebvre are key here, for both wrote extensively on this very
> subject. By exploring their theories, we can deepen our understanding
> of how contemporary capitalism operates not only in the realm of
> production, but as a total system that produces and reproduces persons
> and subjectivities and not only commodities.
>
> IV. Why Buy the Cow When You Can Get the Milk for Free
>
> >From consumption, we must now return to the realm of production in its
> cultural (and immaterial) form. With the so called "web 2.0
> revolution," we find that consumers are, in their leisure time, also
> becoming producers. But in this case, they are performing unpaid labor
> in the service of major corporations. Whereas once corporations had to
> pay workers to produce content for individuals to consume during their
> so called "free time," now consumers are producing such content
> themselves, for free! (This gives a whole new meaning to the term
> "free time"). Insofar as this production occurs on large corporate
> websites, such as MySpace and Facebook, consumer-producers are in fact
> allowing themselves to be exploited, creating capital (and surplus
> value) for the large corporations without receiving any compensation.
>
> V. The Struggle for Everyday Life
>
> Despite the overwhelming colonization of everyday life by the forces
> of capitalism, there are always already new possibilities for struggle
> opened up by changes in technology including the so called Web 2.0
> revolution. Especially, the same technologies used by the major
> corporations are also available to individuals and can be used in
> alternative ways; mailing lists, blogs, bulletin boards, and personal
> websites offer the possibility to produce critical thought and to act
> in non-productive ways that do not strengthen the system. Indeed,
> while overall the Facebook phenomena is an example of a new form of
> exploitation of immaterial labor, its content is ambivalent; one can
> imagine a Karl Marx or Theodor Adorno Facebook page, that uses the
> technology precisely in order to spread critical thinking that weakens
> the system, dispels ideology, and breaks through reified and false
> consciousness. One can also organize anti-capitalist and subversive
> actions more effectively using the internet, cell phones, and Web 2.0
> technologies. As long as capitalism exists there will also exist the
> possibility for anti-capitalist action, a possibility that lays the
> groundwork for future revolution.
>
> ***
>
> This is obviously just an outline, and the essay itself will require
> extensive research to complete. Constructive comments would be greatly

"We fill the craters left by the bombs
And once again we sing
And once again we sow
Because life never surrenders."
-- anonymous Vietnamese poem

"Nothing can be said about the sea."
-- Mr Selvam, Akkrapattai, India 2004

{ brad brace }   <<<<< bbrace at eskimo.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp

---    bbs: brad brace sound                               ---
---    http://69.64.229.114:8000                           ---

.
The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project       >>>> posted since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://  (your-site-here!)
+ + +     continuous         hotline://artlyin.ftr.va.com.au
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery        http://kunst.noemata.net/12hr/

News:  alt.binaries.pictures.12hr   alt.binaries.pictures.misc
               alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.misc    alt.12hr

.  12hr email
subscriptions => http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/buy-into.html

.  Other  |  Mirror: http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
Projects  |  Reverse Solidus: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/