[microsound] making/erasure

Paulo Mouat paulo.mouat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:31:12 EST 2009

+1 Eco's "Open Work".

> What's interesting about the open work is that it could become anything
> or be made FROM anything.
> What's also apparent is that we don't necessarily know what's going on.
> The approach of the artist doesn't matter, but the end result is the
> same. A 20 minute free improvisation with no editing and no assist from
> a laptop may sound as complex and 'open' as an extremely well thought
> out concept and construction.

See e.g. how integral serialism is perceived to be random; to the
uninitiated (and I would say, quite a few of the initiated) they are
virtually indistinguishable. This phenomenon isn't necessarily
exclusive to "open" works.

As an aside, it is interesting that the examples Eco talks about are
from composers that dabbled with integral serialism (i.e. as closed as
a work can be) not long before creating those works.

//p
http://www.interdisciplina.org/00.0