[microsound] making/erasure

CraqueMat craque at craque.net
Wed Jan 21 11:36:46 EST 2009

I'm anxious to read Eco's ideas about the open work, I'm firmly in that
category of belief. Especially with improvisation, which is a huge part
of my work, anyway.

What's interesting about the open work is that it could become anything
or be made FROM anything. It's interesting, for example, how pieces on
Raster-Noton are described as "scientific" approaches to music making.
This leaves me with the sense that these guys are bent over test tubes
and petri dishes of individual motes of sound, expressing them with
surgical accuracy and planning.

At the same time, a very very similar sounding label in 12K has many
artists that espouse improvisation as a central figure in their music
making.

Obviously I am over generalizing, as neither label can be described this
way categorically, but as an example I think it's fitting. Two very
different approaches which both share the benefit of 'the open work', i
think, in two very different ways.

What's also apparent is that we don't necessarily know what's going on.
The approach of the artist doesn't matter, but the end result is the
same. A 20 minute free improvisation with no editing and no assist from
a laptop may sound as complex and 'open' as an extremely well thought
out concept and construction.

( BTW, Kyle Gann's article about electronic music profs and Max/MSP-ism
is hilarious. I love his blog. )

-matt