[microsound] New York in the 80's (was Rhys Chatham)

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Feb 5 22:46:12 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:40:34PM -0500, Dave Seidel wrote:
> Concur on all that (I was there from '78 to '88).  Another point for
> reference for this music is idea of music for multiples.  See Mary Jane
> Leach's really comprehensive list here:

M. Doughty described lower Manhattan in the 80's as "looking like it'd been hit with an art bomb", which I think is a pretty accurate description of walking around there in those years (I lived a 20-minute commute away).

He made that analogy by way of comparing New York in the 80's to Berlin a few years ago, though I've never been to Berlin.

I got a similar-- though smaller-scale-- impression of San Francisco when I moved here in the mid-90's. It certainly doesn't seem that way now.

My question is this: where in the world-- if anywhere-- is there such a scene like early-80's New York taking place? i.e. a place where artists and musicians can make a decent-- maybe even good-- living?

-ken