[microsound-announce] ARRINGTON DE DIONYSO: Unleashing the Voice in Creative Music: From Raw Expression to Refined @NK Berlin

julian percy julian.percy at gmx.de
Tue Mar 9 18:39:17 EST 2010

Tuesday 30th March 2010
ARRINGTON DE DIONYSO: Unleashing the Voice in Creative Music: From Raw Expression to Refined

The human voice is the oldest instrument of artistic expression and our primary means of day-to-day communication. Cultivating an awareness of vocal ability and understanding the process for removing vocal limitations is a useful undertaking for any person. The purpose of this workshop is to help individuals free their voices.

Participants will leave the workshop with an enhanced understanding of the expressive capacity of the voice across cultures, and the tools to expand their own voices beyond everyday speaking and singing.

in this workshop we will explore the voice as an instrument of the body and soul. Participants will receive instruction in extended techniques used by contemporary musicians and sound poets, while gaining awareness of multiphonics as practiced in a number of traditional and non-traditional settings, with particular emphasis on Tuvan throat singing. Instruction in these enriching techniques will be accompanied by discussion of aesthetic concerns related to the musical cultures covered.

The workshop will be limited to 12 students, so that each participant may have the opportunity to perform for each other in an intimate, supportive environment. This workshop is excellent for those working in interdiscliplinary fields, with interest areas in music, dance, theater, poetry, visual arts, healing sound, and ethnomusicology.

Arrington de Dionyso uses performance as a vehicle for driving through the nameless territories held between surrealist automatism, shamanic seance, and the folk imagery of rock and roll. Arrington performs on the bass clarinet, jaw harps, and his voice with a distinctly multiphonic ability inspired by Tuvan throatsinging and the ecclesiastics of Albert Ayler and Don Van Vliet. Pushing the envelope between musicality and pure energy, between shamanic ecstacy and lunacy, he enwraps rooms with resonant sound .

He tours constantly, and has performed or/and recorded with notable improvisers throughout the U.S.A., Canada, Italy, France, Israel and Japan. He presents workshops on improvising with the voice in conjunction with his travels around the world.