[Microsound-announce] Press Release NVO | 006 | 008 | 009

Heribert Friedl heribert.friedl at aon.at
Thu Nov 30 15:38:46 EST 2006

We are proud to present three new releases on Nonvisualobjects.

NVO 006

Bernhard Günter / Heribert Friedl

TRANS

NVO 008

Richard Garet

INTRINSIC MOTION

NVO 009

Heribert Friedl

BACK_FORWARD

________________________

NVO 006

Bernhard Günter / Heribert Friedl

TRANS

1. TRANS | 44:41

The most striking characteristic of

TRANS is the use of a field recording of a group of three small power transformers I conceived as a kind of improvised piece, changing microphone positions to cull different sounds and overtone spectra from the transformers' intense hum. The field recording became our basis track for TRANS~.

Heribert plays his amplified Hackbrett (cymbalon or hammered dulcimer), I play my electric cellotar, a self-made bamboo flute, and three harmonicas (two vintage Hohner BluesHarps bought in the 70's and a Hopf ,Golden Hit'). Unlike on Ataraxia, the flute took the back seat this time because the harmonicas' overtone spectrum blended so well with that of the transformers, and helped creating the harmonic richness of the piece.

When asked to describe the piece, the first expression that came to my mind was "music like weather" - a series of changes and transformations, a myriad of details that unfold according to their own intrinsic logic, but to no intended purpose, and invite the listener to follow their constant becoming and vanishing.

________________________

NVO 008

Richard Garet

INTRINSIC MOTION

1. Endless Scenery | 9:49

2. For Shimpei Takeda | 9:56

3. Ascending | 11:00

4. Field of Monochrome | 25:46

The title Intrinsic Motion emphasizes the movement connecting these four aural compositions, which also share similar interests and aesthetic negotiations. Each work emerged from the combinations of various sound sources such as field recordings, found sound appropriations, contact microphone play, feedback, and studio processing. The works in this release explore the communicational diversity of surrounding sound fields, time, pitch, physical acoustics, and the sensory encounter that conveys human experience. Each piece is the outcome of an empirical interaction, and a significant response to the material found within the intermittent activity of listening.

________________________

NVO 009

Heribert Friedl

BACK_FORWARD

1. BACK | 16:09

2. BACK_FORWARD | 15:41

3. FORWARD | 12:27

This cd is solely based on recordings of the hackbrett (cymbalon). It is a research of playing and digital processing of the instrument itself. The tracks should show the changes of concrete sounds into abstraction, without losing the soul of the sound itself.

On BACK_FORWARD musical movement happens in a clearly defined space. Even though the initial point and the endpoint are never the same, the path between is always equal.

The CDs will be released as a limited edition of 300 numbered copies and are available now at our online shop at www.nonvisualobjects.com

For further information please visit www.nonvisualobjects.com or contact us directly at label at nonvisualobjects.com

all the best,

Heribert Friedl, Raphael Moser