[microsound] Transducers as speakers

devslashnull dev at commtom.com
Thu Jan 5 11:24:32 EST 2012

I have used the Rolen Stars and the Clark Synthesis ( http://www.clarksynthesis.com/ ) transducers as well as several others like the one from Sparkfun ( http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10975 ), and those little plastic spiders( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=309-148 ) .

The Clark synthesis ( we used the silver version) have much higher output than the Rolen Stars. You have to have amplification that is clean down to 4 Ohms or the amp will clip and melt them (which we did on both models during testing).

The higher the mass you are attempting to excite, the more output you'll need. We used them on 3 large steel panels suspended from the ceiling of the gallery we were in (an old church)

More info on the work here: http://blog.davidfodel.com/Constructive_Emmanuel