[microsound] RIP Steve Jobs

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Thu Oct 6 11:03:04 EDT 2011

> advancing this: a paired statement and question: i dislike software
> patents, and, would ios be as consistent as it is without them, or to
> generalize, without the autocratic enforcements?
> supporting that: as re: gnome / aqua: and paraphrasing with real
> trepidation, ezra pound: wouldn't gnome be yet "better" if someone
> handed it a fistful of money?

ANY technology is the (optimized) application of a protocol on a range of
energized material.  A reproducible technology which is inter-operable (with
itself) has to have (on a sliding scale) a more rigorous set of protocols that
guide its use.  This, by nature, restricts the use to within the definitions of
that protocol.  The more open the system, the more potential for evolution, for
change, and in that same way, for failure (to do a defined task).  Technology is
about (human) control of pathways of energy flow through the world we are part
of.  Tighter control means being able to take huge energies 'out there' and
direct them precisely where one likes (think about owning (or even building) an
amplifier!).  Less control allows for more noise in the system which can give
rise to interesting and unforeseen possibility, but it can also, in the case of
an amplifier, shred your speakers, overheat, and burn down your house.

In any technological deployment there is an explicit struggle between control
and freedom.  (think 'o-ring' on the shuttle booster rocket!)  More control
requires more overall energy input into the system.  (This is simple
thermodynamics -- which is not an optional concept, "it's the LAW.")  With
infinite energy supplies, one can completely control a system and that system
will not fail in its task.  Obviously this is impossible, so we have to make do
with something less than perfect control.  But to make a device that can be
deployed widely across a huge range of environmental conditions and have it so
that it fails infrequently, one has to exert intense control over the production
process, all of the way.

That's why military systems are triple-redundant, for example.  When needing to
launch a chunk of lead across a space and into another human's body who is
attempting to do the same thing at the same second at you, you don't want your
technological support system to fail.  You would not want the manufacturer of
that weapon system to have employees who were smoking pot the day your weapon
was rolling off the assembly line!  Thus the idea of wide-scaled social
engineering to ensure that command-and-control systems are in place throughout
the supply chain.

Apple, as a techno-social system within a wider techno-social system, is no
different than any other techno-social system in these issues.  (nation-states,
military organizations, manufacturing entities, corporations, clans, whatever)

Just a few reflections prompted by the somewhat facile comments here on the list
regarding a human passing, and how that human's presence affected other humans
across the planet.  More can be found below...

cheers,
JH

for example -- http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/2657
or http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/2390