[microsound] RIP Steve Jobs

Al Matthews prolepsis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:09:39 EDT 2011

his autocratic style got a lot of good work out of a lot of people.
and if you count the money, there's a lot. i don't like apple's closed
systems and their emphasis on marketing style, but live and let live.

thank you. also that's an awfully nice pun.

I personally wonder, again i suppose, to what extent apple's
enforcement of a closed system or ecosystem enabled ios (iphone os) to
be so coherent and consistent: so predictable. i would contend that
this is of benefit in the defining phase of a technology, in much the
same way that it's helpful that a right mouse movement is mapped
right. having recently switched to android my suspicions are that
things are sometimes upside down and backward in that particular
googledome, simply out of need for minimal-differentiation. patents
etc.

advancing this: a paired statement and question: i dislike software
patents, and, would ios be as consistent as it is without them, or to
generalize, without the autocratic enforcements?
supporting that: as re: gnome / aqua: and paraphrasing with real
trepidation, ezra pound: wouldn't gnome be yet "better" if someone
handed it a fistful of money?

and where would that come from? the argument stands i imagine that
apple owes awfully a lot to the bsd community. and so i wonder, as we
cast our assessment, what apple has added from there.

Al.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM, john saylor <js0000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 22:53,  <beatthefinalboss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What does any of this have to do with microsound, anyway?
>
> microsound -> audio -> technology -> tools -> macs
>
> of course, the list is not only about macs [each of the arrows
> actually have multiple destinations in my conception, ymmv]. i don't
> mind the diversion, the list is sometimes very quiet. but kim is the
> final arbiter.
>
>> Whether you like him and his company or not, you can't argue that
>> he was not highly influential, in many ways, to the world of technology.
>
> this is faint praise. if you substitute politics for technology you
> could be talking about sen. joe mccarthy ['unamerican activities']. my
> point is simply because someone is influential does not mean they were
> a positive influence.
>
> i understand the tendency to not speak ill of the dead, after all, we
> will all be in that position ourselves one day. but on the other hand,
> i see no reason to try to say anything other than what seems true to
> me, regardless if i'm talking about people who are living or dead.
>
> his autocratic style got a lot of good work out of a lot of people.
> and if you count the money, there's a lot. i don't like apple's closed
> systems and their emphasis on marketing style, but live and let live.
>
> --
> \js [http://or8.net/~johns/] : "What started with a kind of poetry
> turned into social war." -CR

Al Matthews