[microsound] How to do a musique concrete workshop?

Samuel van ransbeeck thinksamuel at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 18:22:49 EDT 2011

Hello

I have been asked to do a two-day workshop around musique concrete or basically
using natural sounds to create a composition. I was wondering if anyone could
give me some tips on how to make the best of it. I was thinking of doing a short
historical introduction and letting them hear some recordings. then a mindstorm
about which sounds they (the participants) would go hunt for. Then in the
afternoon we would go on a soundwalk with mobile recorders to record sounds.
Back at theatelier we listen to the sounds and start to cut. Finally we make a
collage and do some editing on it (basic editing, I prefer to use the sounds as
natural as possible). And in the end of the second day, the participants show
their works.

What would I need to do to improve the plan? Another question that bugs me is
that i will have to provide the mobile recorders. Normally I use the ones from
the university I work at but I cannot take them from there. Therefore i was
thinking to get hold of the ZOOM H1 or Q3. Any advice against it or should that
be ok?

Thanks for your input
Samuel