[microsound] osc for visual mapping

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sat Feb 12 11:22:42 EST 2011

In my experience this technique has been used for a long time.
Composing an audiovisual concert usually already includes the development of
a protocol to exchange this kind of information between audio and video
processing. Some use MIDI, others use OSC; even though I prefer the latter.

Honestly I find hard to see anything new in this article. Besides, I seem to
understand that's the main point of the author is to establish a "Protocol",
which, as it is described in the article, looks very poor. I agree with
Jeffrey when he refers to this protocol as a semantic layer. It sounds much
more appropriate.
OSC is already a protocol itself. An overlaying structure would perhaps be a
vocabulary to be applied.
It's surely interesting the idea of introducing an editor (external app)
which could automatically add certain metadata to sound pieces, but once we
have to deal with more complex textures, sonorities, and slight, detailed
sound manipulations such protocol wouldn't, in my opinion, be usable.
It could, but only if we carefully compose it. Therefore, a communication
protocol for a complex performance would need in any case more efforts than
a "standard", at least as it is described on CDM.

The appeal of such "protocol" could probably be targeted more to
user-friendly/commercial software users/customers, and a limited musical
field.
Moreover, it's already very easy to setup OSC communication among several
applications, please correct me if someone thinks otherwise.

and, by the way, do we really need a standard for everything we create?

Best,
Marco

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Jeffrey Melton <jeffreymelton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Another thought: apps like Density GS, Pulsaret (and others built with Max)
> and Ableton could be modded to output an OSC stream of this semantic layer
> in addition to the sound streams. Perhaps people are already doing this, but
> it's new to me.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 12, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Jeffrey Melton <jeffreymelton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My initial thought is to replace "standard" with "semantic", as this
> level is describing the discreet sound events based on their content (albeit
> with a narrow, subjective lexicon).
> > Subjective is a key word, as this level is relative not only to the tone
> colors/timbres but also the person doing the describing—hence the difficulty
> with "standard". AND the protocol level is dependent on these terms as is.
> > I can see how this would be applicable to microsound, as a dialect to
> describe sound events and particles (of which I have a lot to learn) for
> visualizations, but perhaps by frequency range, durations, accepted particle
> definitions and such. I'm assuming unknown terms would be ignored, but then
> music not described in these terms wouldn't be rendered (like HTML).
> > Still, this has potential and makes me want to learn about OSC. Cheers,
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Feb 12, 2011, at 7:52 AM, Al Matthews <prolepsis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You may have noticed this already. I thought I'd ask for comment
> however:
> >>

> http://createdigitalmotion.com/2011/02/op-ed-music-abstraction-for-av-collaboration-a-proposal/
> >>
> >> I think my reflexive objections are in terms of what Surya Buchwald is
> >> calling "Standard," since "Protocol" floats or fails based on that.
> >>
> >> Wondering if you see this framework as applicable to what you do, or
> >> if your own work in OSC e.g. bubbles up here to suggest improvements.
> >>
> >> Supposing you were working directly in microsound or concrete, on what
> >> bases would the "Standard" or "Protocol" here need be adapted?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Matthews

Marco Donnarumma aka TheSAD
Independent New Media Arts Professional, Performer, Teacher
Ongoing MSc by Research, University of Edinburgh, UK

PORTFOLIO: http://marcodonnarumma.com
LAB: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net
EVENT: http://www.liveperformersmeeting.net