[microsound] On impossibility of linux

Renato Fabbri renato.fabbri at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 01:31:22 EDT 2011

install numpy

$ python this_file_in_the_link_below.py
((( http://pastie.org/1751041 )))

hear something just with the minimum of structure:
some duration, volume, timber, pitch, temporal localization,
and spatial localization for each 'thing', 'note' or 'event', minimum
particle, atom.

and play the output: sequencia.wav

something like 'minimum-fi.py'. (does the term exist already?)
http://ubuntuone.com/p/kjV/

mess with the numbers in it and make music. When you
understand something in the code, mess with some structures and
do more music.

i think windows and mac-related practices lack
this kind of natural thinking (or materialization of ideas). Maybe in just
the same way as linux sometimes lacks some UI stuff for utilities...

ps. you can do granular synthesis and spectral music with that script.
Imagine the rest that is pure direct consequence..

2011/4/14 Michal Seta <mis at artengine.ca>:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Joost van der Molen <joostvdm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Or use the free ffmpeg for OS X ;)
>
> I tried to use it, actually.  I got stuck in some strange loop of problems
> with fink/MacOS and the only version I could install was the GUI version
> which was far from intuitive (IIRC).  I ended up transcoding on Linux.  I am
> sure that a MacOS geek would have figured it out in no time but this is to
> show you how important is acquired knowledge, whether we are aware of it or
> not.

GNU/Linux User #479299
skype: fabbri.renato