[microsound] On impossibility of linux

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Fri Apr 15 00:41:41 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Al Matthews <prolepsis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael, I'm with you in spirit, in wallet, and in practice. But the
> OSX-iOS experience is deeply refined. Restricted, and getting more
> restricted; but refined.

You completely missed the point.  I reacted to Kurt's comments not about
availability/maturity of audio/video apps in Linux vs. The Rest of the
World, I even stressed that point.  It is about the necessity of being
<insert your OS of choice> geek (at least to some extent) in order to
accomplish anything creatively with your computer.

But I don't understand the meaning of "refined experience" with regard to an
operating system.  I am not interested in "experiencing" the OS, I am
interested in using (or even creating) software so that others can
experience the result.  Yes, I want to have a pleasant experience using the
system but "refined" and "restricted" applied to the same OS does not sound
right.

I don't think the Linux world has anything to
> put alongside Final Cut Pro X, but please inform me if I'm wrong.
> Blender I do love, but that's different.

No, I don't think that there is a complete video editing suite in Linux
except for kdenlive and a couple of other (simple) tools. My understanding
is that you can edit multitrack video with kdenlive with some FX.  How it
compares with Final Cut, I don't know.  How Blender compares with 3DS Max or
Maya, I don't know either but that is not stopping you from loving it.

> I'll venture that a lot of Apple's stumbling in the ffmpeg gstreamer
> world is legalese.

I know nothing about it.  But I don't think that it is illegal to run either
ffmpeg or gstreamer on Mac OS.

> In other words, there's a reason those codecs are
> distributed as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. You see this
> stratification in naive Ubuntu distributions just as clearly.

I am not sure I understand.  What is a naive Ubuntu distribution?
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly groups are defined by the gstreamer
maintainers, not Ubuntu or other distributions.  I don't understand why you
refer to them as strata, either.

I will reiterate that I am not attacking MacOS or any other OSs.  I chose to
work with Linux and that's my problem.  But I can also work with other
operating systems, I can trouble shoot them and I can get the job done.  And
that experience brings me to the realization that you have to be a <your
favourite OS> geek in order to get the job done (or at least pay a geek when
you're stuck).

./MiS