[microsound] iPhone apps

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 16:58:49 EDT 2011

I think it is clear that there are now three "Big Brother" companies
in the technology world.

It amazes me that one of these three companies has managed to create a
set of consumers who seem to shut off their brains when it comes to
the commodities and practices produced by said company, even when
those consumers are supposedly politically aware artists. I use
technology by all three companies, in the end I'm going to use
whatever gets the job done.

But I have BIG problems with:

1. Developing "open" tools for a platform that is not only closed, but
PROHIBITIVELY expensive for many working people (we see this with many
art/music+technology tools developed at universities)
2. Cheerfully providing free marketing for said platform without doing
any critique
3. Hypocritically denouncing one of the other companies for being
"closed" and "evil" without applying the same critique to the new kid
on the block, which in my opinion is now both quite powerful, and
engaged in practices that are as or perhaps even more disturbing than
what the traditional evil giant.

Ironically, while on principle I dislike all monopolies, the
traditional Big Brother company has opened up quite a lot and softened
some of its practices.

~David