[microsound] 1 bit symphony

Massimiliano Viel mail at maxviel.it
Tue Sep 7 18:09:22 EDT 2010

Il giorno 07/set/2010, alle ore 23.33, David Powers ha scritto:

> "If lo-fi helped us to get rid of harmony" ... it did? why?

Same old reason: as an ear cleaner for a generation of musicians, so they later can turn back to give new meanings to new things... as von Foerster used to say "new knowledge generates new ignorance"...

> Maybe that's why so much music now lacks depth...

Maybe or maybe not... depth may also be in the listening ear.
Meaning that lack of listening habit to new practices (I would say stylistic patterns) may let us miss the spot where to find depth and that's why music we are not used to often appears to be boring.
But after all the musician is his own first listener...

massimiliano