[microsound] 1 bit symphony

simon longo simonlongo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 16:59:27 EDT 2010

Nice package and nice idea as item to buy and to own of course, but I am not
too sure what is the difference from this and a midi player built say in say
a mobile phone, we have plenty of such devices around its just that nobody
use them and exploit to make art...

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM, john saylor <js0000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hey
>
> don't know how many are aware of this:
> http://www.1bitsymphony.com/
>
> well, i bit [ouch!] and got it. there are some interesting things
> about the music, but to be quite frank, i prefer most of the chiptune
> players to perich. when listening to it, i often felt that while his
> understanding of how machines make music was not as deep as it could
> be. i guess i could simplify it by saying i felt there was more
> symphony than there was 1 bit.
>
> also, while the code for generating the music [i think] was included
> on the card there was precious little about meta issues [what the
> software was like, how the programming was done, what were his
> aesthetic aims with this music, and so on]. and from an engineering
> standpoint, it seems like it was not designed to last very long or
> take much abuse. people spill and drop things [and their kids tear
> them apart ...] all the time. i don't think this package can take much
> of that. there is something about a cd release that is kept by using
> the same packaging, i get that; but as a bit of technology, it kinda
> fails in my book.
>
> don't misunderstand, i think it's an interesting project, and i put
> out my currency to but it. so that says something in and of itself.
>
> other opinions, comments?
>
> --
> \js : "verbing weirds language." -calvin  [http://or8.net/~johns/]

Skype: Dithernoise

UK: 0044 (0) 7887561945 / IT: 00393490910263

www.simonlongo.com / www.dithernoise.net / www.visual-rhythms.net