[microsound] 1 bit symphony

john saylor js0000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:23:52 EDT 2010

hi

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Charles Turner <vze26m98 at optonline.net> wrote:
> Can you post some (or all) of it? I'd say that therein would lie some answers to your questions...

well, not all. and reverse engineering his assembly code is not my
idea of a good time.

i found this http://bombsite.com/issues/999/articles/3361:
"That’s why I work with my own hardware and write my own software. For
the new album, I rewrote the software in Assembly Language, which is a
programming language that fewer and fewer people use as time goes by,
but it’s also the language of the machine itself. Any instruction I
write in Assembly Language is directly interpreted by the machine
instead of being compiled into the code by other software. So I’m
working with the raw instructions that the machine executes, getting
one step closer to the flow of electricity through the microchip."

which is more what i'm talking about. the code itself may reveal some
of this, but it tells me very little about what is going on in the
mind of the programmer. perhaps i can induce some of it by looking at
the assembly code, but this is way too much work for what i'd get out
of it.

and yet [from the same article]:
TP There was a secret track on the first one! Didn’t I tell you about that?

NH No!

TP If you connect two pins together the right way when you turn it on,
it plays a hidden track. I don’t think anybody knows about that.

NH Oh, well, now we’re getting somewhere.

TP Anybody who actually tries to read the source code would figure it
out. It’s sort of my test, I guess.

but i think he's talking about an earlier release [1 bit music] ...
and assembly is not easy to read [as compared to c or perl or a pd
patch or just about anything else]. it's machine language, not
programmer language. of course, our brains can adapt, but i want to
spend my cycles elsewhere ...

\js : "verbing weirds language." -calvin  [http://or8.net/~johns/]