[microsound] hydrophones and methane

Michael Palace palace at guero.sr.unh.edu
Tue Nov 30 14:22:19 EST 2010

Abisko Scientific Research Station in Northern Sweden

This is from my graduate student's fellowship proposal.

A second site was established in late summer 2010 in Stordalen Mire (68°
22'N, 19° 03'E), on the southern side of Lake Torneträsk, a
methane-bubbling lake in Abisko, Sweden. About20 km from Stordalen Mire
and also located on the lake is the Abisko Scientific Research Station
(ANS), a field laboratory site dedicated to work studying the lake and
the surrounding environment.  This study site lies about 200 km north of
the Arctic Circle and approximately 385 m above sea level, on the south
shore of Lake Torneträsk. The area has a varied topography,
geomorphology, geology and climate, and a diverse flora and fauna. The
lake surface is at 341 m and the highest mountain in the area reaches
1991 m. Lake Torneträsk with an area of about 330 km², a catchment area
of 3 300 km² and a mean depth of 52 m, dominates the area. The average
annual temperature is approximately -1.0°C. July is the warmest month
(mean about +11°C) and January the coldest (-12°C). Annual precipitation
at the lake varies from about 1000 mm in the west to 400 mm in the east,
with a minimum of 304 mm (among the lowest in all Scandinavia) in the
sheltered Abisko valley.

Mike Palace