[microsound] max/msp on linux... better Pd then [WAS] OT: laptop for permanent sound installation - suggestions?

Bernardo Barros bernardobarros2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:35:50 EDT 2010

2010/11/4 Younes Riad <y.riad at live.nl>:
>> Why not learn Pd if on Linux? If you know max well it's easy to learn Pd... If you're switching it'll seem less "bells and whistles" than max but in the long run IMHO this is an *advantage".... Give it a try ;)
>
> I'm very curious why you see less bells and whistles as an advantage?

There is two bad things Max/MSP did when it upgraded from 4 to 5 that
really make a difference (for worse in my opinion) comparing to PD. It
uses a heavy GUI system based on OpenGL... *much more memory and CPU*
--- without any advantages in terms of sound.

It uses a strange file format, not easily redable and probably will
have problems with compatibility in the future.

PD is free software, use open formats and have much more potentials to develop.