[microsound] max/msp on linux... better Pd then [WAS] OT: laptop for permanent sound installation - suggestions?

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Nov 4 18:19:42 EDT 2010

Younes Riad wrote:
>> Why not learn Pd if on Linux? If you know max well it's easy to learn Pd... If you're switching it'll seem less "bells and whistles" than max but in the long run IMHO this is an *advantage".... Give it a try ;)
> I'm very curious why you see less bells and whistles as an advantage?
Well... In a way I tend to be messy when patching, and found that Pd
makes me be a little more disciplined. When I used max i tended to
easily get "spaghetti patches"... but that's probably me.
Apart the fact I switched to linux as my only os since a while and that
Pd is free (as in beer ans speech) and open source, I just came to
prefer it to max. This is again personal experience of course.

Best,
Lorenzo