[microsound] The sound of the Dog Particle and bad science.

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Thu Jun 24 07:45:12 EDT 2010

hanks for the link and insight... Anyway lsitening to one of the
examples, and reading "convert data expected from collisions at the LHC
into sounds" it was pretty clear that one could really obtain "anything"
depending on how/what you map the data to sound parameters.
There is a big difference between "the sound of something" and "mapping
data to sound" (aka sonification). Writing "converting data to sound"
seems confusing and a little misleading because in my opinion it implies
that the conversion direct (like converting Km to miles).

Nothing against sonification of course, but I do agree with you that the
way it's presented is too sensationalistic.

And you couldn't have described better the news-makers' attitude, pity
for the 'scientists'... Of course the sounds also sound very 'sci-fi' if
you get what I mean, which helps to sell it even better.

Lorenzo