[microsound] The sound of the Dog Particle and bad science.

Pereshaped pereshaped at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 06:05:43 EDT 2010

No doubt the recent to items of news has grasped some attention from
the community, that is, " The sound of the God Particle" which is
weird, as they haven;t found it yet...am I missing something ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10385675.stm

and the more credible, the music of the sun spots etc at......which I
can;t find right now. This sound more interesting.

I contacted LHCsound to chat how they had done it. After a couple of
email exchanges with them, I couldn't help feeling that it is a good
example of sensationalizing science under the hood of "sonification"
of scientific data. They were very cagey about sharing any scientific
data on how they had done it, but on closer inspection...

http://www.lhcsound.com/

It turns out it is mostly some pretty basic algorhythmic pops at some
General MIDI instruments....yuk!. There is some aural references to
early microsound, but the outcome strikes as very interpreted and
subjective. It is ironic that music, especially microsound has been
critized for it materialist associations(Sound Particles and
Microsonic Materialism), yet here we have a nice reversal. Scientists
and newsmakers tryiing to "palatize" and mystize sciene as nature's
aesthetic.

I would be interested to see how others saw the news.

Maybe we could have a little short project again and show scientist
how it could be done, "the sound of the Dog particle" :-)