[microsound] sound and ecology

Michael Palace palace at guero.sr.unh.edu
Tue Jul 20 12:23:19 EDT 2010

Also a collaborator and I are seeking funding for this unique idea.
Sound recordings of bubble in bogs.

Briefly, we are developing a unique approach to identifying the
ebullitive events that occur in both flooded ecosystems and lakes.
Ebuillition or bubbling represents one of the pathways for methane to be
released from aquatic environments, bypassing the mitigating effects of
oxidation. The extent of bubbling both in the frequency and magnitude of
events is still not well characterized in both northern and tropical
ecosystems. In recent research here at my field site in NH, we have
observed ebullition events with an autochamber system equipped with a
laser CH4 analyzer. We have observed distinct diel patterns in
ebullition and also more frequent events than is reported in the
literature. These results have many implications but the most important
for climate feedbacks is that we are underestimating the flux of methane
from these ecosystems by as much as 40%.

Since coupled autochamber and laser systems are not easily deployed in
remote locations, we have been thinking about a more portable,
less-expensive sensing system. We have been testing the use of sound to
identify ebullitive events. Simply attaching a submersible microphone to
a plate that will resonate when the bubble impacts its surface gives us
enough signal to identify the frequency of events  and has the potential
to give us the size of the bubbles, a mechanism to sample them for
chemical analysis and therefore a way to estimate the mass of CH4 that
is released through this transport process. Deploying these systems in a
variety of wetlands and aquatic systems would then give us the data to
determine patterns in and controls in emission and then allow us to
incorporate the behavior into process-based models of greenhouse gas
emissions.

Mike Palace