[microsound] [advice] Portable, battery powered speakers for outdoor microsound

Stephen Adam spectro7 at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 07:31:41 EDT 2010

It does seem like your requirements are modest, but  you haven't
mentioned what kind of area you need to cover (at what levels),
resources etc.

In any case, as an "alternative" to portable battery powered speakers,
a half-decent car stereo system can pump out a fair bit of sound
provided the power and speaker cable runs aren't too long, and one
well charged car battery (high capacity deep cycle is better) should
provide more than enough power to run a modest (but better than just
about any other off the shelf portable battery powered) speaker system
over an evening. You'll also still probably need to provide
alternative speakers (or enclosures) to the ones inside the car for
the concert but that shouldn't be too hard to sort. If the car can't
be in the area, you could just haul the relevant bits to the site: 12v
(ie car type)  batteriy powering (one, or more if needed) car stereos
(cheaply obtained at a local wrecker or second hand dealer) could be a
good solution, given you are planning to broadcast via low power FM
anyway.

Alternately or possibly as an adjunct  if you can get a vehicle (or a
decent capacity battery) in the vicinity get an inverter that
generates enough power to run your Alesis speakers or more...

S.