[microsound] "No Input Mixing Board"

simon longo simonlongo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:35:45 EST 2010

yeah that is like driving a car with your eyes closed, is a good idea to
patch a limiter in the chain so that you don't overload too much or just
keep an ear to the signal so it does not get too hot :-)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Sofus Forsberg <sofus at foppa.dk> wrote:

> My Ensoniq DP-4 got busted some years ago, from making feedback with it.
> Now
> it ONLY distorts, so you can damage your gear from making feedback loops
> with it. I also thought that it was impossible, but i guess you can fuck up
> the input step somehow... :D
>

> > From: "Andrew C. Smith" <andrewchristophersmith at gmail.com>
> > Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:00:01 -0500
> > To: <microsound at microsound.org>, <mis at artengine.ca>
> > Cc: Nic Freed <beatthefinalboss at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [microsound] "No Input Mixing Board"
> >
> > Nakamura came to play in Brooklyn a few months back, and actually had a
> whole
> > rack mount setup with digital reverb and all kinds of effects. Sort of a
> > surprise, to me anyway (I'm only a little familiar with his music), but
> it was
> > interesting how the feeding back mixer was juxtaposed with this totally
> stock,
> > everyday digital reverb sound.
> >
> > Also, you may just want to try asking around and seeing if you can borrow
> > cheap mixer and patch cables from anyone. To my knowledge, no-input
> feedback
> > can't ruin a board, and most pros (even most amateurs) have a few extra
> small
> > mixers sitting around. If you try a few out you may know better what to
> look
> > for when you go to the music shop.
> >
> > Since no one else said it yet: don't use headphones.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Dec 14, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Michal Seta wrote:
> >
> >> You could probably get a Behringer 8 channel mixer for less than a
> >> 100$ at your local music equipment store.  Those are totally useless
> >> for pro-audio but they should fit your needs.  Of course you also need
> >> a lot of patch cords.  You may want to check your nearest electronics
> >> surplus store, they may have good deals on cables (maybe even some
> >> amateur mixing boards!).  Just make sure that when you are buying a
> >> mixer to use as a musical instrument, there are more outputs than just
> >> Main Out (hopefully Aux and/or Fx and maybe even direct out) for
> >> increased flexibility of routing signals.
> >>
> >> Here's one good deal for a Behringer:
> >> http://bit.ly/f4JPqy
> >>
> >> You could also check some local classifieds listings but I would
> >> advise that when you buy this kind of stuff (especially online or
> >> through an ad) you do it with an adult, hopefully someone who
> >> understands your needs and what you are buying to some extent.
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >>
> >> ./MiS

> do not
> anxious
> with an

> beatthefinalboss at gmail.com>
> learn
> connected
> better,
> it

Skype: Dithernoise

UK: 0044 (0) 7887561945 / IT: 00393490910263

www.simonlongo.com / www.dithernoise.net / www.visual-rhythms.net