[microsound] Other geophonic projects

macdara at email.com macdara at email.com
Sun Dec 5 06:37:49 EST 2010

Hi perhaps we could have a general discussion about the relationships between environment/landscape/geography and music.
It's something I've been thinkin about a bit. How is our hardware i.e. raw materials for computers related to this kind of geophonic idea?
Is there a "computer music". Are computers a very advanced kind of lithophone?

One to get us going,

http://www.davidfirst.com/krac.html

This is a project i found in the Leonardo Music Journal from 2003. It involves using real time data from measurements of "Schumann Resonances" at a research station in Canada.
Title of paper is "The Music of the sphere: an investigation into Asymptotic Harmonics, Brainwave entrainment and the earth as a giant bell". I think it opens up interesting questions about our physical relationship with these phenomena. What would the acoustics of these spaces be like if the resulting works had to be performed? There is some very interesting
stuff about the harmonic series in a spherical cavity and how it changes so the overtones pile up in different ways, interesting ideas.

Mac