[microsound] meta-theory

Manannan Mac Lir macdara at email.com
Mon Sep 28 06:00:25 EDT 2009

Well I think what you're saying reminds me of David Bohm and his
implicate order and the enfoldment of the universe. There are some really
strange moments in Messiaen's piano and organ music where I think it
pushes you beyond a rational or linear concept of time, it becomes
enfolded to the extent that events become timeless, Messiaen wanted to
create a sense of timelessness which is itself a paradox, indeed in one
of the movements of his quartet for the end of time the tempo marking is
infinitely slow which taken literally is a human (maybe not post-human?)
impossibility but the suggestion or intention is interesting. Ligeti in
his Aventures imagined a solid infinite block of sound that
one experienced for a period but without beginning or end. Something I
havent found enough information on so far is the aspect of music,
psychology is too restricted a word, which effects ones "physically
conscious" self. Why does music make more emotional sense than most other
things to me? It seems to allow for an expansion of consciousness which I
havent seen developed in other art forms. The Sufi mystic and musician
Hazrat Inayat Khan has some very interesting writing, David Borgo's book
Synch or swarm is interesting but ignores the "psychic" interplay between
audience/performers that can occur. What I "want" is a musical
theory/framework which can deal with diverse psychological phenomena. I
still love notes and all that stuff but it seems to me the only important
factor is how it effects the recipient. I think feedback loops have a
huge role in determining the wiring of for example a group performance or
composition, I'm only coming to terms with them via Fritjof Capra's web
of life. For me the cyclic metaphor is liberating because it seems to
partially resolve the composition/improvisation problem I have in never
being totally satisfied with either, the cycle or feedback loop having
the ability to encompass any situation. I dont think any music theory has
really taken into account feedback loops in the contemporary sense. With
a feedback loop one can create a living or developing system which seems
to me infinitely interesting. I agree with you about absurd logic but I
would say that in my ownexperience it is lack of absurdity that is
illogical