[microsound] meta-theory

Manannan Mac Lir macdara at email.com
Fri Sep 25 17:41:51 EDT 2009

I very much enjoyed some of the theoretical debates, particularly the
meta-theory thread.I have been reading a biography of Afred Schnittke
recently and it seems that his later approach is aimed at creating a
meta-music, where time, style, genre are all entwined in a musical
utopia, a utopia in which rational time is overwhelmed by musical time.
This seems to me similar to the late ideas of Philip K. Dick where he
sees his Valis trilogy as a sphere of information through which infinite
journeys are possible. The director Werner Herzog also uses the term
ecstatic truth to describe this type of expression, that of an experience
beyond the rational truth, this could possibly apply to Lynch’s Inland
Empire . I would like to propose a discussion on the types of theoretical
models used by us in our work, be they psychological, mathematical,
philosophical or just plain mystical. I was tickled by the meta-theory
idea and believe that as a group, microsound has a huge potential in this
area of creative investigation. All aboard?

Le grand Macdara

--
An Excellent Credit Score is 750
See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!