[microsound] musical structure

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:16:29 EDT 2009

The theoretical language I am developing should apply to both Bach and Xanakis.

Bach's musical technique tends to result in overall static textures
that are stable within a given period of time. His small pieces tend
to live within one single textural domain. In my own terminology, Bach
works with single "plateaus" in short pieces, and sequences of
plateaus in larger pieces. The Goldberg Variations would consist of 31
distinct plateaus, for instance.

Xenakis' statistical methods, on the other hand, give rise to both
static plateaus, and transitions between plateaus.

~David