[microsound] musical structure

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:37:12 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I use the same kinds of structures in my classical/jazz/experimental
piano playing as I do in electro-acoustic laptop music. Types of
structures I have used include:

*post-serial/pseudo-mathematical /aleatoric: composition occurs within
an artificial framework characterized my numerical constraints (as in
my PI-day piece)
*traditional classical (sonata, rondo, etc.)
*harmonic cycles (jazz standards)
*narrative/signifying: defining large segments of a piece that are
intended to convey a general type of mood or idea (I associate these
structures with Gustav Mahler and Charles Mingus especially)

In more mnml, beat oriented music, I define structure us:
1. Plateaus: Generally consistent, repetitive sound structures that
may or may not evolve slowly
2. Events: Singular, unique sounds or groups of sounds that only occur
once, or a limited number of times
Plateaus and Events may or may not occur simultaneously
A typical structure for a dance record might be: Plateau - Event - Plateau
I believe the Plateau/Event structure might also apply to other forms
of repetitive, minimal, ritual types music, such as certain
improvisations I do with acoustic musicians in a 'world jazz' type
context.

~David