[microsound] noisy hard drive on mac

i8u muse at i8u.com
Fri Mar 13 11:20:05 EDT 2009

forgive my lack of knowledge here,

if  i understand all that has been said,
does it mean i could  set up another os on the external
drive which would then be solely dedicated to music and boot up
in this drive to work on music ?

which i believe may make things quieter,

or, if i run the software from the laptop
and access my files from the drive,
do i still have the same noise problem?

and given than either way i go, it seems
an external drive will solve my problem,
any feedback on drives, which ones are quieter than others
and also, which ones "travel" better.

thanks again

i8u

>> this will strictly be to ensure i can program sounds and work
>> without hearing the actuator arm move across the platter.
>
> exactly the reason why i also work on external drives. just the programms
> and system are on the internal harddrive. all the streaming etc. is coming
> from the external drive which is stuffed somewhere away from the working
> place.
>
> this is probably the best solution for your problem.
> good luck, ralph.
>
>> thank you for your insight
>>
>> i8u (france)
>>

>>> i often run off an external firewire 400 5400rpm drive and ive had no
>>> issues
>>> running 20 or so tracks with plugins and mastering.  so id think that a
>>> 7200
>>> firewire 800 drive would prob work even better.  alot of people
>>> actually
>>> run
>>> their sessions off of external drives so that the computers hard drive
>>> is
>>> freed up and dedicated to running the software, while the audio files
>>> are
>>> actually being read off of the external drive.  when i started doing
>>> this
>>> it
>>> really made my whole system alot faster.
>>>
>>> i guess the way i see it is, if your serious about making music you
>>> need
>>> have some kind of backup for your work.  so might as well make that
>>> drive
>>> bootable.  then if this problem you're having gets serious, you can
>>> boot
>>> from your backup and continue to work until you have the time to take