[microsound] diffusion as an art-form

Randolph Jordan randolph at soppybagrecords.net
Fri Jun 12 15:55:47 EDT 2009

Here are a couple of good places to start reading about the art of
diffusion:

Moore, Adrian, Dave Moore, James Mooney.  “M2 Diffusion: The Live
Diffusion of Sound in Space.”  Proceedings of the 2004 International
Conference on Music and Computers.  Miami: USA, 2004: 317-320.

http://sheffield.academia.edu/AdrianMoore/Papers/91459/M2-Diffusion-%E2%80%93-The-live-diffusion-of-sound-in-space

Moore, Moore, and Mooney give a good concise definition of diffusion,
a brief technical history of the art, and the results of some of their
research into new diffusion technologies.

*

Truax, Barry.  "Composition & Diffusion: Space in Sound in Space."
Organised Sound, 3(2):141-146.

http://www.sfu.ca/~truax/bourges.html

Truax gives a more technical description of his own research into the
art of diffusion, but I like the way he distinguishes between
composition and diffusion as "shaping the space inside the sound" vs
"shaping the sound inside the space."

*

Enjoy!

Randolph.