[microsound] Should musicians names appear on the anouncement?

greg g time4cookies at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:54:44 EDT 2009

let's not forget to give performance credit to the manufacturers that built the microchips, the inventors of microchips, mother nature for the heavy elements required for computer assembly, the farmers who produced the food for the engineers and manufacturers to eat, their parents who brought them into being, the sun for making life possible, the big bang for making the sun possible, etc.  this question can't be serious.  of course a computer shouldn't be credited outside of pure philip k dick-style humour, as far as i know it's standard procedure to credit humans who program and/or perform the composition and draw the line there, the rest (computer and program included, big bang, et al) are just means to that end, otherwise this is some kind of horrible dystopian joke.  credit the speaker cables, amplifier, the local power station for performance while you're at it, too.  artistic credit is for humans only, even if mechanical reality goes a long way to shaping and bringing about what that art might be.  if you lean a guitar against an amplifier and walk away for the entire feedback performance, you wouldn't think of crediting "gibson guitar and fender reverb deluxe amp" for the performance in any seriousness, you'd credit lou reed or dylan carlson, or whoever leaned the guitar against the amp or instructed such an action in a composition, even if they aren't on stage for the entire event.  same goes for computers alone onstage without humans.