[microsound] Should musicians names appear on the anouncement? What about the name of the computer?

Randolph Jordan randolph at soppybagrecords.net
Fri Jun 12 14:04:18 EDT 2009

Playback and diffusion are very different things and should not be
conflated.  Diffusing a recorded piece is a real-time performance in
its own right.  In the concerts of electroacoustic music that I have
attended, the diffusers are given credit and applause for their work,
essentially treated as musicians partially responsible for realizing a
composer's work.  While there is also often applause at the end of
recorded works presented without diffusion, I don't think the clapping
audience is intending to acknowledge the work of the CD player
responsible for spinning the disc, though this piece of machinery is
certainly a key factor in helping to realize the composer's work.
Perhaps the question of where to direct credit should be based on
acknowledgment of creative intention, something most of us do not yet
ascribe to inanimate machines.

Randolph.