[microsound] software to 'maculate' sound

Bill Jarboe billjarboe at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 20 03:10:02 EDT 2009

Hello Andrew,

    I'm aware of what you mean. You did state software, yet a common
quick industry fix is routing the signal to tape , or at least
preamps or a mixer , then recording to a fresh file.

   There are many solutions , dependant on the needs and the intended
outcome.Part of the problem, for me anyway, is in the mental
discipline of aiming at an imaginary point of degradation. Perhaps a
helpful analogue is deciding how messy you're going to get before a
social event.

    Some useful software might include chebshev distortion , the
Studio Devil british valve custom, and phase reversal if more than
one channel is at work.

  Also bit reduction and lower sampling rates add 'body'. Sometimes
minute adjustments in several stages produce a desirable result, sing
what you feel is missing then find the frequency of the note and work
with that.

   If you're really fed up record it to tape and stuff it in a corner
for ten years by which time it will probably sound amazing.

                                                          bill