[microsound] micro-situations

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Wed Jan 21 08:33:41 EST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:56:44 -0800, Kim Cascone wrote:
> yes Debord worked hard to alienate many from the movement in its
> later days - even former colleagues
> my theory is that he sense the movement was being co-opted and turned
> into a caricature of itself so he emptied it and created a vacuum

Are you saying that Moles and DeBord would have wanted to have
formalized their relationship as anything other than an irreconcilable
difference?

Anyway, T. J. Clark's "Why Art Can't Kill The Situationist
International" is worth a read on this subject if you're into politics,
or just a scan if you're into art:

<http://www.vze26m98.net/anechoic/Clark-1997.pdf>

(I won't leave this up forever...)

"Enough, enough. In the end the interest of the Debray/NLR proceedings
lies in the way they reveal, just a little more flagrantly than usual,
the structure (and function) of what now passes for knowledge of the
S.I. from 1960 on. The established wisdom, let us call it. It can be
broken down into four essential propositions, though obviously these
overlap and repeat themselves.

Proposition 1: The Situationist International was an art organization
(a typical late-modernist avant-garde) that strayed belatedly into "art
politics."Judged as art, its politics do not amount to much. And surely
they are not meant to be judged as politics!

Proposition 2: The S.I. in its last ten years was an art-political
sect, consumed with the lineaments of its own purity, living on a diet
of exclusions and denunciations, and largely ignoring the wider politi-
cal realm, or the problems of organization and expansion that pre-
sented themselves in an apparently prerevolutionary situation. Call
this the clean-hands thesis. Or the burning-with-the-pure-flame-of-
negativity thesis. (Proposition 2 is subscribed to, be it said, by many
of the S.I.'s admirers.)

Proposition 3: Situationist politics was "subjectivist," post- or
hyper- Surrealist, propelled by a utopian notion of a new "politics of
everyday life" that can be reduced to a handful of '68 graffiti: "Take
your desires for reality," "Boredom is always counter-revolutionary,"
etc.

Proposition 4: Situationist theory, especially as represented by
Debord's The Society of the Spectacle, is hopelessly
young-Hegelian-rhetorical, totalizing, resting on a metaphysical
hostility to "mere" appearance or representation, and mounting a
last-ditch defense of the notion of authenticity, whether of individual
or class subject."