[microsound] making/erasure

Stephen Hastings-King roachboy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 07:58:33 EST 2009

hello charles.

thanks for the tip on morawski: i haven't heard of him before, so will check
out his work.

i'm  also pleased that the notion of open work is on the table again because
that's at the center
of what i was thinking (but did not write below) about aesthetics as a
problem.

an open work is reassembled, it changes and it's meanings are made
differently each time. the varying character of such works migrate them
outside the object-orientation of aesthetic theory, it switches the relation
of making to the work. meanings--which lean on ways of determining
provisionally what a piece is---become as varied as those who experience the
piece.
the boundary between experiencing and composing gets blurred.

i like the idea that one can present layers of sound or other forms of
information simultaneously without obvious markers as to hierarchy
amongst them (but with attention to detail and clarity at each layer--that's
my preference anyway) and put an audience in the position of organizing for
themselves what they experience (or read) such there is no object or
phenomenon---there are only versions.  eco talks about this mostly in the
context of fixed media---stockhausen's klavierstucke 11 (i remember the
excerpt in audio culture better than the book as a whole because i used
audio culture multiple times in courses) and texts---but i've also found it
a really interesting hook for thinking about improvisation and pieces that
use environmental sound (scrambling scale for example)---in an improvised
context, thinking what you're doing through a notion of open work puts
performers and audience in the same situation--the resulting versions are a
numerous as is the audience, the meanings explicitly made in the process and
the whole is transient.

this pushes an interesting wedge between performance and recording that i
like to think about--it's through this that i got interested in making
recorded environments unstable by making pieces that one would layer--play 4
cds simultaneously say---which requires a bit of planning that's not at odds
with improvising---such that every choice a listener would make with respect
to sound systems, how to deal with slightly varied lengths of the component
recordings, how well they know individual recordings as separate
environments etc. would change the outputs.
i like to think that no two playbacks would be the same.
i know that the whole is other than the sum of the parts.

i think there's a pretty basic critique of traditional aesthetic theory
performed in all this.

stephen