[microsound] why i'm not excited about Live

CraqueMat craque at craque.net
Mon Jan 19 14:03:58 EST 2009

Graham Miller wrote:
> $500 is extremely reasonable for the software... and i buy everything
> that is on my hard drive. there are a ton of less expensive options
> as well for live, including the LE and free lite versions, not to
> mention their generous trial demo versions...

Admittedly the pricing complaint is more of an industry-wide thing, not
limited to Ableton products. But I need a fully featured DAW, not a
"free" or "lite" version.

Another issue here, like I mentioned in my original post, is my personal
problem with getting way too lost in configuration and management that
gets in the way of actually making any music. I don't necessarily WANT
such a highly customizable experience, because a great deal my music
making activities happen away from the mixing console / DAW.

> p.s. there are limitless ways to use live. it's not all about 4/4
> techno loops. use your imagination. i can't think of any 'DAW' (which
> live is and isn't) that encourages a more customizable and
> individualistic user experience. no two people use this software the
> same way.

heh, well, not a lot of my music is about 4/4 loops, i didn't mean to
imply a simplistic approach. i've done pieces in 5/4 and 7/4 (and no
time sig at all) in Live, with great success and plenty of imagination.

but that's certainly not what i'm saying, i believe any two people will
use a tool completely differently because they are two unique people.
that's a phenomenon separate from Live itself, or any tool, for that matter.

I have *never* used the loop view in live. I have 100% always used the
arrangement view. I spent probably a year or more "trying out" Live (and
have many published tracks that used it) before deciding it just wasn't
for me. Maybe Live 8 will change that.

-m