[microsound] project: microacoustic pt2

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:18:39 EST 2009

I don't know, all the classic Blue Note records were two mics straight
to tape. I don't think they sound "lo-fi" per se. So, I think that you
don't need a large amount of pre or post processing. And honestly, I
don't think eq and compression as pre (as opposed to post) processing
is a good idea for acoustic music personally, unless you really know
what you are doing. When an engineer tried to do that on my last
recording, he almost ruined the drums trying to give it "character".
My friend who mixed it down couldn't understand why he didn't just
record it clean...

Now your point about the acoustic space and the mic placement is well
taken. However, the space is a consideration in all acoustic music,
not just recorded music, and mic placement to some extent is
equivalent to the position of the spectator at a performance. So the
only question is that of the mics themselves, which for most of us
probably comes down to, "use what you've got." I personally will have
to borrow one.

~David