[microsound] Speech Analysis Question...

Phil Thomson hellomynameisphil+mcrsnd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:29:13 EST 2009

fscape has a utility that can split a sound into chunks of
user-defined length, analyze and compare the chunks and then arrange
the chunks according to their similarity in a certain regard, for
example, amplitude or noisiness.  It may not do exactly what you want
it to do, but still might be useful to try or to generate ideas.
That's what i can think of off the top of my head.

~pt

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Greg Pond <gregpond at gmail.com> wrote:
> This was posted to the PD list just a few days ago:
> http://williambrent.conflations.com/mov/timbreID-vowel.mov
>
> Pure Data can likely accomplish what you are trying to do. I would
> check out the examples here: http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials,
> especially if you have not tried using it or Max/MSP before. The pd
> list archives and the PD forum may also yield more.
>
> best,
>
> Greg
>

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Timothy Leonido
> <timothy.leonido at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone can recommend an approach to isolating sounds of
>> speech, say vowels of a particular quality or certain fricatives. Is there a
>> program that can take a small section of a waveform and, using this
>> selection as a model,  extract sounds of a similar quality? Ideally,
>> reducing the waveform to silence and those selected sounds? (fricatives,
>> formants of a certain frequency) I am currently looking at Praat and
>> Supercollider, but if anyone can point me in a better direction...
>>
>> In looking for sounds of speech hesitation or disfluency, someone mentioned
>> that I might be able to use supercollider to extract quieter sounds which
>> are in proximity to silence... though I'm not sure how this is possible.
>> thanks!
>>
>> tim

"'Experimental' means the seats are full at the start and empty before
the performance is over."