[microsound] Speech Analysis Question...

Timothy Leonido timothy.leonido at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:53:45 EST 2009

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can recommend an approach to isolating sounds of
speech, say vowels of a particular quality or certain fricatives. Is there a
program that can take a small section of a waveform and, using this
selection as a model,  extract sounds of a similar quality? Ideally,
reducing the waveform to silence and those selected sounds? (fricatives,
formants of a certain frequency) I am currently looking at Praat and
Supercollider, but if anyone can point me in a better direction...

In looking for sounds of speech hesitation or disfluency, someone mentioned
that I might be able to use supercollider to extract quieter sounds which
are in proximity to silence... though I'm not sure how this is possible.
thanks!

tim