[microsound] post-laptop era?

michael trommer trommer at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 15 18:15:13 EST 2009

Re. computer with a non-computer interface - it seems to me that most
digital gear is exactly that, be it an mpc or one of those 'workstation'
keyboards.

Re. the loss of musical traditions, I think that many
hip-hop/glitch/house/techno artists would disagree - many would argue that
the mpc/303/808/909 etc. is/are at the foundation of the style and sound of
their music.

Sampling as 'merely a sound effect', eh ? Wooh...there's a can of worms
you've opened...

i'd also be careful about positioning the 'old' 'real' aesthetics of a
coltrane against the 'new' - it reminds me of when people were arguing that
'real' music was played on guitars (or whatever) and that anything played on
electronic instruments wasn't 'real' music. As a kid it usually boiled down
to a drunken argument of zeppelin vs. kraftwerk...stupid.