[microsound] Random Sample Player

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Apr 28 01:10:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:05:08AM -0400, greghynds at aol.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm working on a project using very short samples played very fast in a random sequence. I've been using de la Mancha's 'manic' plugin to test out ideas (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2939.html) and although it's useful it doesn't run as efficiently as I'd like and I'd really prefer a more sophisticated VST.
> Does anybody know of a reliable random sample player? I'm on a fairly low budget and ordinarily I use Cubase on a PC.

Several years ago, I hacked together a very simple PD patch to do this.

I used it on this cheesy little track (definitely *not* a microsound peice):
http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/184/0/phoneme-dance-0.3.3.ogg

Credits for the samples used here:
http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/dance-of-the-phonemes

Basically, I cut up human speech into discrete phonemes, then played them randomly, triggered by MIDI in a rhythmic fashion. I was thus able to approximate via software the sound of a rapper freestyling.

-kenn