[microsound] Zoom H4 tech query -- anybody else?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Apr 6 15:16:32 EDT 2009

I think the best people to ask would be Zoom's tech support. This looks like a bug.

I'd be curious how much RAM the H4 has. I'd also be curious if the period of the noise changes with the bit depth and sample rate. I'd also be curious if it does this while in USB mode, or only when recording to an SD device.

My initial hunch would be that the Zoom "saves" or buffers the audio to RAM initially, and then writes it in bulk to the flash device. If so, that noise that you are seeing noise might be caused by it writing to the flash device.

-ken