[microsound-announce] CFP Call for Papers: Sonologia 2019 - I/O, Brazil (deadline oct 1st)

Henrique Souza Lima hrsouzalima at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:07:26 EDT 2018

*CFP Call for Papers: Sonologia 2019 - I/O, Brazil (deadline oct 1st)Dear
colleagues,We’re happy to announce that the 2nd edition of
π™Žπ™€π™£π™€π™‘π™€π™œπ™žπ™– – π™„π™£π™©π™šπ™§π™£π™–π™©π™žπ™€π™£π™–π™‘ π˜Ύπ™€π™£π™›π™šπ™§π™šπ™£π™˜π™š 𝙀𝙣
π™Žπ™€π™ͺ𝙣𝙙 π™Žπ™©π™ͺπ™™π™žπ™šπ™¨ will happen in SΓ£o Paulo, Brazil, in April 9-12,
2019.In 2016 we had the first edition of SONOLOGIA: International
Conference on Sound Studies, a transdisciplinary event attended by
researchers from seventeen countries and five continents with contributions
from fields of study as broad as music, sound art, anthropology, visual
arts, theatre, literature, architecture, history, sociology, media studies,
gender studies, among others.This second edition of the event proposes the
theme I/O. An acronym which, metaphorically mobilized, provides a powerful
way of addressing the diverse and problematic relations between the β€œI” and
the β€œother”, as well as β€œinside” and β€œoutside”. By focusing on matters of
alterity, subjectivities, limits, boundaries and crossings – either
cultural, territorial or disciplinary – we invite papers devoted to
particular and contingent relations that take to task hegemonic theories
and practices in sound studies. Although the pairing of categories may
indicate opposing notions, by retaining the slash [/] we intend to focus on
inquiries that disrupt the limits of each category and suggest possible
continuities, exchanges and intertwinements between the terms of the
relation.Politics of sound and sound making. Institutionalization of
artistic practices and research. Sound activism. Violence, war, control
tactics and sonic torture.The role of technique and technology in listening
and sound making. Critical perspectives on the repurposing of technology,
precariousness, experimental lutherie.Discourses on listening and sound
practices. Aspects of legitimacy, politics, place, alterity, gender or
race, from the perspective of non-binary, non-normatives, post-colonial or
counter-hegemonic epistemologies.Identity and alterity in sound practices
in Latin America. Discussions regarding hybridity, interculturalism,
miscegenation, transnationality. Sound materiality and immateriality.
Critical inquiries regarding sonic materialisms and the limits of aurality.
Ontological debates about sound and audio culture. Sound and
territoriality. Politics of space and poetics of memory and forgetting
within practices such as site-specific art, installations, soundscapes,
sound walks, field recording, sonic cartographies.Crossovers between sound,
body and visuality. Studies on presence, performances and artistic
practices related to theatre, dance, audiovisual, performance and
literature, regarding its contingencies and particularities.(In)disciplines
of sonic creative processes. Limits and ruptures in collective or
individual creative practices. Human/non-human interaction. Alternative
proposals of documenting and sharing creative processes.Language and
format The official language of the event is English. However, inspired by
the theme of the conference - I/O - we encourage that participants strive
to relate in a flexible and inclusive manner with the language issue during
the conference. In line with this perspective, we invite submissions of
extended abstracts in either english, portuguese or spanish. Afterwards
selected participants shall submit their complete papers, and present them
in the conference, in English.We accept alternative formats of papers that
reflect critical and creative necessities of theoretical, practice-based or
artistic research. However, the use of special technical resources needs to
be evaluated jointly with the organizing committee. Paper presentations
should last 20 minutes followed by up to 10 minutes of
questions. Submission guidelines  Please submit your extended abstract (in
Portuguese, Spanish or English) of a max. 800 words, and a short bio (50
words) no later than October 1st, 2018 by 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time
(GMT -3) to sonologia at usp.br <sonologia at usp.br>. Please allow 24-48 hours
for confirmed reception. Selected presentations will need to submit
camera-ready papers (in English) by February 25th 2019 with a provided (by
us) ODT/ MS Word templates (max. 7000 words in A4 format).Submission of
abstracts until October 1st, 2018.The call for papers and further
information are available at:
http://www2.eca.usp.br/sonologia/2019/?page_id=79
<http://www2.eca.usp.br/sonologia/2019/?page_id=79>We ask for your help
sharing this call and await your submission!Respectfully,Sonologia 2019
I/OOrganizing Committee. *